Saturday, November 6, 2010

Introductory Remarks

I have resisted blogging for some time now, but I feel compelled to join the many who are blogging today. My goal with this blog is to work towards writing one blog per week, with a word count less than or equal to 600. My goal is to provide succinct summaries of different doctrines or ideas in a clear manner. I hope to improve my writing style as I blog and solidify the lessons that I am learning in my private study. I hope also to develop teaching abilities by teaching others what I myself am learning.

The title of my blog may seem odd, yet it has profound meaning for me. The quote is taken from the theologian B.B. Warfield. I found this quote in Louis Berkhof's Systematic Theology. The full quote is as follows: "[General Revelation] is addressed to all intelligent creatures, and is therefore accessible to all men; [Special Revelation] is addressed to a special class of sinners, to whom God would make known His salvation" (37). I find that this has a twofold application to the Christian. First, we are reminded that we are no different from non-Christians in the sense of our inherent worth. We are all created in God's image and are not superior to the non-Christian; an attitude which I believe plagues the Church at times. The second application is a reminder that we are in no way responsible for our salvation, as if we accomplished it. God, in His grace, revealed Himself to us and took the sole role in salvation such that we have only to respond in faith.

Thus I begin my blog. To any who are so kind to follow, I would encourage any feedback you would have to offer, whether positive or negative, whereby I may learn and grow in my ability to communicate effectively and graciously.

In Christ,

Heath

3 comments:

  1. Heath,

    I graciously look forward to your posts. Your subject matter is not merely interesting but I would say directly applies. It will be a pleasure to see you unfold this weekly. Layer by layer He will unravel us.

    Best,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading these. I'm thinking of putting more effort into my only theology blog (Orthodox Reflections, http://alex-binz.blogspot.com). God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heath!
    Will there be a place for rebuttal?! HAHA I'm just kidding. I love you.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete